[Mailman-Users] Nomail members

vancleef at lostwells.net vancleef at lostwells.net
Fri Mar 9 18:49:49 CET 2007

The esteemed Brad Knowles has said:

> At 9:19 PM -0700 3/8/07, vancleef at lostwells.net wrote:
>
> >  Tell me that isn't true, Mark.  From this mail list administrator's
> >  perspective, "I can't find/use my password" ranks just below the AOL
> >  flaming demands that we unsubscribe them NOW!
>
> Who needs periodic reminders, when there will be a reset mechanism
> that the user can make use of at any time of their choosing?
>
> I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing the reason why you would ever want to
> continue using the reminder mechanism, when you can just go to a
> page, enter in your e-mail address, and have the system generate a
> new password for you and send it to you by e-mail.

If three years as a Mailman mail list administrator has taught me
anything, it is "Never underestimate the inability of list members to
use the user member management resources of Mailman."  That begins
with an inability to click on the links we put on headers and footers
to get to their options page, much less clicking on the button that
mails a password refresher to them.

Then there's the group who are running something like Windows ME who
are adamant that "my time is too valuable for me to learn anything."
What are we going to do, kick them off the list with a "learn-ya
damn-ya!"  I certainly feel that way at times.  So does my partner.

These are the hard realities of the Consumer Internet.  The last thing
my partner and I **need** is a Unix-like encrypted password and having
to reset passwords as root.

Hank