[Mailman-Users] Nomail members

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Thu Mar 8 17:11:53 CET 2007

Quoting Mark Sapiro (msapiro at value.net):
> >I'm having two problems with members of a list who are set to "no mail"
> >but whose email address is no longer valid:
> >- The bounce of the monthly password reminder, even though it is VERPed,
> >  is not sufficient to remove them from the list because it's only one
> >  bounce.  It would be nice if that bounce would trigger some additional
> >  probing, possibly immediately going to the "you are disabled" warnings.
>

> It would not be difficult to do a withlist script to list those members
> with current bounce info and disabled delivery. You could run this a
> day or so after the password reminders are sent to get a manual list
> for further manual action.
>
> I'm not sure that treating a bounce of a password reminder as an
> immediate disable for bounce is a good idea. It is after all, just one
> bounce. If you don't disable members for bounce after one single post
> bounces, It probably isn't a good idea to do it for password reminders
> either.

The problem is that the bounce thresholds are set for the people who get
mail every mail.  The nomail members only get mail once a month, so
they'll never be removed.

> >- I send the membership list of one particular list off as a cron job to a
> >  friend who has a "backup list" for that one.  But there is no easy way
> >  to remove addresses that are set to "no mail" from the output of
> >  list_members.  What I want is the opposite of "list_members -n" to show
> >  only members who aren't set to "no mail".
>

> Have you tried "list_members -n enabled"? It's not documented, but it
> works.

Oh, shiny!  I might have tried that if it was documented.  Thanks.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
"Panic kills"