[Mailman-Users] Blank Characters Removed from "Subject:" Line

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Jun 27 20:52:29 CEST 2007

I am running Mailman 2.1.9.  I have a list where one posting has a
"Subject:" line:

     Change in Procedure for Computers on list with possible Antivirus Problems

The next posting in the thread has:

     Change in Procedure for Computers on list with possible AntivirusProblems

A subsequent posting (not treated in the list archives as the same
thread) has

     Change in Procedure for Computers on list with possibleAntivirusProblems

The next posting in the thread has:

     Change in Procedure for Computers on list withpossibleAntivirusProblems

The final posting in this thread has the same "Subject:" line as
immediately above.  I am not subscribed to this list and cannot
post to it, so I do not know if a subsequent posting to this thread
will remove another blank character in the "Subject:" line.

What I see in the list mbox file are these lines (with line numbers):

------
184232 Subject: Change in Procedure for Computers on list with possible Antivirus
184233         Problems
------
184331 Subject: RE: Change in Procedure for Computers on list with possible
184332         AntivirusProblems
------
184456 Subject: Re: Change in Procedure for Computers on list with
184457         possibleAntivirusProblems
------
184566 Subject: RE: Change in Procedure for Computers on list
184567         withpossibleAntivirusProblems
------
184735 Subject: RE: Change in Procedure for Computers on list
184736         withpossibleAntivirusProblems
------

Note that the original subject is split into two lines.

What might be causing this?  Is this a problem with Mailman, or is it
a problem with the sender's Mail User Agent (probably Outlook), or
a problem with the sender's mail system:

As the mbox file has the blanks removed, I have to believe that
it is not Mailman that is removing the blanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov