[Mailman-Users] Server Migration (and archive repair)

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Fri Jun 15 15:13:28 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 05:03:29PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> The directories you need to rsync are Mailman's lists/ and
> archives/private/ directories. If you're concerned about held

Ok, good, that's easy enough.

> messages, you can also do the data/ directory, but it may be better to
> approve/reject/discard any held messages during the final switchover
> after stopping the MTA and before the final rsync.

Most people don't bother cleaning out there held messages.  This will be
a good chance to get rid of those. :)

> When you're ready to do the final switchover, shut down the incoming
> MTA on the old box, wait for Mailman to process all its queues, do the
> rsync and finally change DNS or whatever to have the new box take over.

Yeah, this part is the portion I'm comforable with, just didn't know what
exactly should be copied over.

> First, is the list's Archiving Options->archive set to Yes?
>
> Are some lists being archived? If so, good, but if not, is ArchRunner
> running (ps -fAw | grep qrunner)?

Archives work for all lists.  Archives worked fine up until the previous
mailing list admin (actually a desktop fellow who was new to linux, yay)
did his "magic".

> What's in Mailman's error log?

Ah ha!  He made the mbox files owned by root, not mailman.  ooops!

-brian
--
"Perl can be fast and elegant as much as J2EE can be fast and elegant.
In the hands of a skilled artisan, it can and does happen; it's just