[Mailman-Users] Server Migration (and archive repair)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 15 02:03:29 CEST 2007

Brian Hechinger wrote:

>I need to build a new mailman server.  What is the best/easiest way to
>migrate lists (and their archives) to the new machine?  Something that
>used rsync would be nice so I could keep things as up to date as possible
>and then do a final rsync right before the migration.

The directories you need to rsync are Mailman's lists/ and
archives/private/ directories. If you're concerned about held
messages, you can also do the data/ directory, but it may be better to
approve/reject/discard any held messages during the final switchover
after stopping the MTA and before the final rsync.

When you're ready to do the final switchover, shut down the incoming
MTA on the old box, wait for Mailman to process all its queues, do the
rsync and finally change DNS or whatever to have the new box take over.

>The other thing is, a previous admin tried to clear out the archives for
>a couple of lists, and now the new messages are no longer archived.  How
>do I repair these broken archives?

First, is the list's Archiving Options->archive set to Yes?

Are some lists being archived? If so, good, but if not, is ArchRunner
running (ps -fAw | grep qrunner)?

What's in Mailman's error log?