[Mailman-Users] Edit to FAQ 3.11 How do I create a newsletter/announcement/one-way list?

John Bell john.r.bell at cox.net
Sun Jun 3 20:10:42 CEST 2007

In FAQ 3.11 it mentions how to do the following:

Features: Members join by filling in a form on your website (and replying to
the confirmation email). They will be sent a welcome message that does not
mention how to post to the list. They will receive your newsletters, with a
footer that gives simple instructions for unsubscribing. Only authorized
persons can post to the list (send the newsletters). (Note: For this FAQ we
are discussing how to setup an announcement list for a band.)

The post assumes that you have access to the command line. I'm website
owner, and my host has set up the mailman feature, but I can only access the
HTML admin pages to configure my mailing list. I don't have access to the
source code or command line features. Like others, I want a one-way
notification system - only I send messages to folks who want to join my
mailing list to get news, etc, about my site.

I found a workaround to both HTML and emails, but it's a but sneaky. So here
is information for whom it may concern, and if appropriate perhaps someone
could update the FAQ page. If I've done something completely unnessary and
there's a simpler way to do this please also let me know.

---

The following is a guide to setting up a newsletter type mailing list
bypassing all HTML and emails from mailman to subscribers when they
subscribe and unsubscribe. The only requirement is that you are able to
create your own CGI scripts. I did this is perl and I assume this is also
possible with other languages.

First I went through all the options to ensure that a subscribing person
would not get any email when they subscribed or unsubscribed, or due to
other events. This is how I set it up (for the version I have, 2.1.9):

All the following I set to no in general options:

 -Send password reminders
- Send monthly password reminders
- Send welcome message to newly subscribed members
- Send goodbye message to members when they are unsubscribed
- Send mail to poster when their posting is held for approval

All the following is set to yes in general options:

- Should the list moderators get immediate notice of new requests, as well
as daily notices about collected ones
- Should administrator get notices of subscribes and unsubscribes
- Emergency moderation of all list traffic [probably not necessary but I'm
paranoid]

Under Privacy Options, subscription rules,

- What steps are required for subscription = Require approval
- Is the list moderator's approval required for unsubscription requests?  =
Yes

These last two seemed to stop all emails when subscribing or unsubscribing -
you as the moderator will get them all. However as you're also the only one
sending out emails to the list this doesn't matter. Before sending anything,
process all the requests, then send the message.

The second step is to hide all the mailman HTML. I did this by creating my
own perl script. On my own HTML page I have a simple form as follows
(stripping all the formatting):

<form action="/cgi-bin/subscribe.cgi" method="POST">
<input type="text" size="25" name="email">
<input type="radio" name="status" value="subscribe" checked>
<input type="radio" name="status" value="unsubscribe">
<input type="submit" value=" Submit ">
</form>

I.e. two parameters - email and status.

The perl script 'subscribe.cgi' then does the following:

If the user wants to subscribe I execute these lines:

 use LWP::Simple; [place at the top of the file]

 $link = "http://[my URL]/mailman/subscribe/[my mailman
listname]?email=".$FORM{'email'}."\&email-button=Subscribe";
 $webpage = get($link);

And to unsubscribe:

  $link = "http://[my URL]/mailman/options/[my mailman
listname]?email=".$FORM{'email'}."\&login-unsub=Unsubscribe";
  $webpage = get($link);

In other words, the script gets the page - executing the command, and
instead of displaying the reulting HTML it gets captured by the variable
$webpage which I can parse to display as I want, or ignore completely and do
my own thing.

Comments welcome!