[Mailman-Users] Moderation and Whitelisting

Derek J. Balling deballing at vassar.edu
Fri Jul 27 18:29:15 CEST 2007

Is there any way to have *one concise* place for "Who is able to send
to a list"?

We have some campus-wide lists. Sometimes the people who can send to
them are members of the list. Sometimes they're not. Sometimes they
are members and then later vanish from the list automatically, even
though they still have the right to post to them (e.g., if they move
from one building to another, but they are able to send to all the
auto-populated building-specific mailing lists).

This whole "having to look to see if they're a member, in which case
we want to turn off their mod bit, otherwise, go and manually add them
to the whitelist" routine, well, frankly it sucks.

Ideal would be to have the value of "accept_these_nonmembers" also
work if the person listed is a member (and maybe someday simply call
it "accept_these_posters_always" or something like that).

Has anyone either [a] figured out some cool function of Mailman that
we're missing, or [b] come up with an easy hack to mailman to allow it
to use that value for member posters as well as nonmember?

Thanks,
Derek

--

Derek J. Balling