[Mailman-Users] Looping Moderator Approval Requests / Mailman&Exim

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jul 26 17:10:08 CEST 2007

This is the problem. Exim is piping mail to listname-owner at example.com
to "| /path/to/mail/mailman/ post listname" and it should be piped to
"| /path/to/mail/mailman/ owner listname".

>and holds it
>(because of the included message that was originally help). This then
>generates another moderation e-mail which is sent to list-owner which is
>then held and so on.
>
>I'm not sure if there is a fundamental failure in my understanding of
>the system of if there's something I've not thought about, but I cannot
>get it to work properly.

It is an exim configuration problem.

>I've seen a lot of documentation suggesting that every list should have
>10 aliases in the Exim aliases file for piping into mailman, and -owner
>is included in these, however I think I am right in saying that that
>doesn't apply in this situation because I have configured the Exim
>transport/router as directed to pipe all mail into mailman that hasn't
>been caught by aliases instead.

Exim is normally configured with a router and transport for Mailman so
aliases are not needed, but the router and transport have to be
correctly configured.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.019.htp>
for pointers to exim's documentation on setting this up.