[Mailman-Users] Administrivia Checks

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jul 17 19:02:50 CEST 2007

Barry Finkel wrote:

>I am converting most of our Majordomo lists to Mailman.  After I
>converted one list, the list administrator sent the command
>
>     who LISTNAME
>
>to the converted list.  It was not caught as administrivia.  In the
>2.1.9 source Utils.py, I see
>
>ADMINDATA = {
>    # admin keyword: (minimum #args, maximum #args)
>    'who':         (0, 0),
>
>Is there a reason why the max #args for "who" is not set to 1 or 2 to
>catch these commands?
>
>     who password listname
>     who listname
>     who listname address=<address>

Actually, none of the above are valid Mailman email commands. Commands
are sent to listname-request, so listname is never part of the
command. However,

  who password
  who password address=<address>

are valid commands with 1 and 2 arguments. This was changed in 2002
when the individual command modules were added. Prior to this, the
only valid command was

  who

I suspect it was an oversight to not update the Utils.ADMINDATA
dictionary at that time, but I don't know. The following may have had
something to do with it, but I think on balance, catching

  who xxx yyy

as administrivia is the right thing to do. I'm going to change it.