[Mailman-Users] AOL's "Client TOS Notification"

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Jul 14 19:03:16 CEST 2007

On 7/14/07, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>  But beware... I recently wrote to two subscribers that we have been sending
>  free content to, and as kindly as possible, I wrote that clicking spam
>  makes it very difficult for us and other AOL users to send/receive the
>  content. I also notified them that I unsubscribed them. As you can imagine,
>  I got spam complaint one more time and actually got blocked by that! I had
>  to file an AOL whitelist petition again.

As Larry Stone mentioned, just put something in the headers and
footers of every message, which tells AOL users that they will have
their entire domain permanently banned from the list, if you get too
many spam complaints.

Then carry through on that threat when it happens.

Simple.

And I say this as the former Sr. Internet Mail Systems Administrator for AOL.

The people working there may or may not be clueless, but
99.999999999% of the users on the system most definitely are
clueless, and there's only so much you can do to accommodate them.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0