[Mailman-Users] Re : Re : same list name on 2 different domains

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jul 14 17:38:32 CEST 2007

Enzo wrote:

>In fact i've found this patch:
>http://al.blog.free.fr/mailman/mailman-vh-2.1.5.patch And no problem
>to apply it, but now i've great difficulties to make it work with my
>postfix install
>I, in fact, use /etc/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py.
>
>It used to work with mailman 2.1.5, but no more with this mailman 2.1.5 + patch

These patches are almost always done to work in the author's specific
environment with little if any thought to making them work for
everyone. That's one of the main reasons why they haven't been picked
up in the distributed Mailman.

The apparent author of the above patch is Arnaud Lavrard
<http://sourceforge.net/users/arnaudlavrard/>. Perhaps he can help you.

There are many loose ends to this patch. It looks like you wind up with
existing lists having 'internal names' of just the list name and new
lists having 'internal names' of the form listname-domain. I don't
know if this works or if you have to rename the old lists/*
directories to the new form or if other changes might be required for
existing lists.

In any case, It looks as if the code

    if os.path.exists(local):
        os.execv(MailmanHome + "/mail/mailman",
                 (MailmanHome + "/mail/mailman", type, local))
    else:
        bounce()
    sys.exit(75)

in postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py needs to be preceded with something to
append '-domain' to local (at least for new lists) as in

    local = '%s-%s' % (local, domain)

however, this won't work as is because domain is not defined in
postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py, and you may need to modify your postfix
configuration to pass it as an argument.