[Mailman-Users] Moving lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jan 29 23:27:48 CET 2007

G. Armour Van Horn wrote:

>The problem with the old server is that it won't accept mail for
>Mailman. Something about my last attempt to upgrade Mailman there broke
>it. I'm putting this function on a new server because I just don't have
>time to figure out the problem on the old one, and the new one has
>enough horsepower to run the lists along with its other tasks, thus
>letting me run one less server.
>
>However, the same reason I want to move the list means that I can't use
>the "who <password> command via mail to get the list. Certainly the data
>is in a file somewhere.

FAQ 3.4 is a hodge podge of obsolete and newer stuff. See the two
archive posts linked from the second paragraph of the FAQ. Also see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-January/055595.html>.

Basically, if your old list's are down, all you need to do for lists is
move the lists/<listname>/config.pck files and run fix_url if any
domain names changed.

For archives, you can move the entire archives/private/ structure, or
if you want to rebuild the archives, see the post linked above.