[Mailman-Users] performance differences between limited and full personalization

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jan 29 20:04:58 CET 2007

At 5:22 PM +0100 1/29/07, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>                                    Anyway, I wonder whether I would have
>  any gain in terms of performance if I switched from full to limited
>  personalization.

Not really.  Either way, the system has to create individual copies
of the messages to be sent, and that's the biggest performance hit.

>  In other words, do I gain anything from changing from full to limited
>  personalization? I like when people recieving our newsletters do not have
>  to guess the email they were subscribed with but if it should help, I
>  would switch from full to limited and place their emails in the email
>  footer.

Full personalization will change the way the headers look.  Users
will no longer see that the post is addressed to the list, with them
getting a copy.  They will now see that messages appear to be
directly addressed to them by the sender, without any mention of the
list.

One of these behaviours may be more desirable for your users, who may
be confused by the other type of behaviour.  It's up to you to decide
which makes more sense.

Co-author of SAGE Booklet #15 "Internet Postmaster: Duties and
Responsibilities"
Founding Member and Platinum Individual Sponsor of LOPSA:
<http://www.lopsa.org>
Papers: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4> LinkedIn Profile:
<http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>