[Mailman-Users] Attempt to block spam using X-Spam-Flag blocks all messages to list

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 02:32:59 CET 2007

One of my users added this as a spam filter:

^x-spam-flag:.*yes

(all lower case since spamfilter regexps are case-insensitive--
hyphens not backslashed by accident), and the list started dropping
ALL emails. Why?

We're running SpamAssassin on another box (mail gets forwarded to the
"mailman box" after SpamAssassin is done with it), and I've confirmed
that SpamAssassin is running properly and not setting "X-Spam-Flag:
Yes" across the board.

Even with the forgot-to-backslash-hyphens error, why would that regexp
match the headers of every message?

We tested this and it's repeatable: with that regexp as a spam filter,
emails are dropped-- when that regexp is removed, emails go through
properly.