[Mailman-Users] Problem with archive URL

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Fri Feb 16 22:24:37 CET 2007

Julia Frizzell wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2007, at 3:42 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>

>> Julia Frizzell wrote:
>>

>>> My mailman is configured to have as its default_email_host
>>> alliance.brown.edu, but the default_url_host to be
>>> list.alliance.brown.edu. However, our list information pages list the
>>> archive link as alliance.brown.edu instead of the proper list.a.b.e
>>> link as it should be.
>>>
>> This is one of two problems. If these are private archives, you
>> probably need to run fix_url on the lists. See
>> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?
>> req=show&file=faq04.069.htp>.
>>
>> If these are public archives, you may have hard coded a host name in
>> PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py.
>>

> They're public archives, and I do not have a hard coded host name in
> my mm_cfg.py.
>
> Interestingly enough, ALL of the other links work perfectly. It is
> ONLY the list for the archives that has a problem. Should I worry
> about running the fix_url.py and having it create problems for the
> currently working links and potentially messing up the other virtual
> hosts, or should I just relax and let it do its thing?
>
> BTW, this change will not be done on a Friday at 4:00, so I'm looking
> for a Monday morning solution. :)

I hate to interject here, but wouldn't you rather test during off-peak
hours, instead of the heat of Monday morning where a mistake might cost
a lot more?  That being said, you can apply changes to a single list,
and not all lists in an installation.  Citing the output from bin/withlist:

    --all / -a
        This option only works with the -r option.  Use this if you want to
        execute the script on all mailing lists.  When you use -a you should
        not include a listname argument on the command line.  The
variable `r'
        will be a list of all the results.

Best,
Ryan

--
Ryan Steele
Systems Administrator               steele at agora-net.com
AgoraNet, Inc.                      (302) 224-2475
314 E. Main Street, Suite 1         (302) 224-2552 (fax)
Newark, DE 19711                    http://www.agora-net.com