[Mailman-Users] Mailman won't 'start' - but is working?

Sat Dec 29 18:16:06 CET 2007

Charles Marcus, on 12/29/2007 11:34 AM, said the following:
> If I try to 'start' mailman, it won't start - I get the (!!) error. If I
> try to stop it, it says it isn't started.
>
> What am I missing?

Hmmm... apparently the qrunner is running - if I manually issue the
mailmanct stop or -s start commands, it appears to work...

I did verify these are correct in the startup script (see below) - but I
also notice two things: it is dated from 2004, and it is issuing the
command as 'su - mailman', but I am issuing the commands directly as
root - so maybe this script didn't get updated properly?

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-mail/mailman/files/mailman.rc,v
1.5 2004/07/14 23:50:52 agriffis Exp $

depend() {
         need net
         use logger
}

start() {
         ebegin "Starting mailman"
         su - mailman -c 'bin/mailmanctl -s start' >/dev/null 2>&1
         eend $?
}

stop() {
         ebegin "Stopping mailman"
         su - mailman -c 'bin/mailmanctl stop' >/dev/null 2>&1
         eend $?
}

svc_restart() {
         ebegin "Restarting mailman"
         su - mailman -c 'bin/mailmanctl restart' >/dev/null 2>&1
         eend $?
}

Tia for any pointers and/or whacks with a clue-stick...

--

Best regards,

Charles