[Mailman-Users] Mailman won't 'start' - but is working?

Sat Dec 29 17:34:39 CET 2007

Ok, maybe this is an issue with my understanding, but...

I am on a gentoo system, trying to clean up some things (inherited) -
duplicates, etc. I had an old version of Mailman (2.1.7) and 2.1.9
installed.

I removed the 2.1.7 version with no apparent problems, but then updated
2.1.9 to the latest rev - 2.1.9-r2 (this is in the testing/unstable repo
on gentoo, so maybe this is a bug with this package)...

They aren't supposed to make major changes between minor rev bumps like
this, but they did this time:

1. The install directory was changed from /usr/local/mailman to
/usr/lib64/mailman.

2. They also split up some of the stuff... if I'm not mistaken, the
following directories used to be in the main /usr/local/mailman:

archives
data
lists
locks
logs
qfiles
spam

but they all got moved to /var/lib/mailman...

I got all of this sorted (fixed the paths in the aliases files and in
main.cf for postfix), and mailman seems to be working fine - I send a
message to a list, I see it processed in the log, and the message is
delivered to all list members... but...

If I try to 'start' mailman, it won't start - I get the (!!) error. If I
try to stop it, it says it isn't started.

What am I missing?

--

Best regards,

Charles