[Mailman-Users] no dupes across lists?

Allan Hansen hansen at rc.org
Mon Dec 17 09:52:11 CET 2007

At 2:34 +0900 12/17/07, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>Allan Hansen writes:
>
> > That's interesting.
> >
> > I run Mailman 2.1.5 (Mac OS X 10.4) and have the 'problem' that
> > when someone posts to two lists at a time, I get only one message. I
> > actually do want to get both for archival purposes. If this is not a
> > function of Mailman 2.1.5, I wonder where the other message is
> > cut. :-)
>
>What do you mean by "get"?  I "get" both messages in my system
>mailbox, but because I have duplicate suppression on in my MUA, I only
>"see" one.  The MUA automatically skips any message with a Message-ID
>that it has already seen.

More detail:

One message from a subscriber's MUA goes to two lists in Mailman because that person is addressing it using

To: list1 at abc.com, list2 at abc.com

The subscriber (who is not I) is subscribed to both lis1 and list2 (I verified this).
I'm also subscribed to both list1 and list2 (also verified).

Mailman is the actual recipient of this message. However, being a listserver, Mailman becomes the originator (literally) of two new messages, one for the subscribers of list1 and another for the subscribers of list2. It has to be two messages, because one message has additional headers and a footer added for list1 and the other has headers and a footer added for list2. In fact, Mailman even adds the Sender: header with the list as the sender.

I'm subscribed to both list1 and list2, so I'll expect to see two different messages being picked up by my MUA. One message with Sender: list1 at abc.com and another with Sender: list2 at abc.com.

This, in fact, is how it worked in a previous list server (ListStar) that I used before Mailman.

In Mailman I'm seeing only the message corresponding to list2.

My MTA is Postfix and my MUA is Eudora (both running under Mac OS X 10.4.11).

I cannot imagine my MUA comparing the two messages and throwing one out, as the message bodies are, in fact, different. Ditto for the MDA and MTA.

Allan