[Mailman-Users] Implicit destination

Rod@freeserve rod at coate.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 18:45:01 CET 2007

This happens on my Mailman installation every few dozen posts and I've always assumed
Mailman is objecting to the quotes.

Your guess about the quotes being inserted by some MS mail software is probably right.
Despite asking asked many senders for more information on what they did which might have
triggered this behaviour, I've never managed to get a definitive answer. I wonder whether
it's something to do with copying and pasting addresses, or specifically copying and
pasting them into an address book and then using that.

But does Mailman have to treat this as an implicit address? Of course
'list at icpsr.umich.edu' is not literally exactly the same as list at icpsr.umich.edu , but the
list address is explicitly included within the quotes. Could a future version of Mailman
allow for this and avoid treating quoted addresses as implicit destinations?

Rod