[Mailman-Users] Seeking Advice on Managing Mailman Lists (Organizational side not technical)

Bryant, Joy Hall joy.bryant at dir.state.tx.us
Thu Dec 13 16:55:14 CET 2007

Our government agency has 40-50 Mailman lists which have sprung up over
the years as various needs arose.  We have a wonderful couple of guys
handling the tech side of things and each list has an owner - usually
not too technical - that handles the day to day memberships, postings,
inquiries, etc.

We don't really have any central management of the process and face the
common problems of no standards, lists that die out but no one is
notified so they don't get removed, inconsistent wording or look and
feel, new owners left pretty much to figure things out.

Do any of you have good practices you could share about the
organizational management of the lists? We don't want to go too big
brother-ish, but perhaps things like:

** Form to request or deactivate a new list
** Examples of general policies every list owner should follow (not HOW
to do it, but perhaps a checklist of organization requirements: each
list must have a description, a footer, sample welcome message). I'm not
looking to re-create the user manual.
** Do you have periodic meetings of your list owners (again,
non-technical folks)? How often?

We can create these things from scratch, of course. But I wanted to
check with Mailman community to see if any of you have advice to share.
I'm aware of the user manuals, FAQs, and this list.  I did some
searching for this topic, but couldn't quite hit a match.

I'm interested in corresponding with some of you in similar
circumstance.

Thanks,

Joy

Joy Hall Bryant
Program Manager - IRM Outreach
Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR)
Office of Communications & Strategic Partnerships
P.O. Box 13564
Austin, TX 78711-3564
(512) 475-2346
joy.bryant at dir.state.tx.us