[Mailman-Users] Limit to the Number of Subscribers for eachlist?

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Aug 29 23:43:20 CEST 2007

Larry Stone sent the message below at 14:09 8/29/2007:
>On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Dragon wrote:
>
> > Lots of us have done just that. I run my lists on a server owned by a
> > friend and have pretty much free reign to do whatever I want.
>
> > If you can justify the costs of doing so, it is a good solution. For
> > people like me who do this both as a hobby and for a non-profit
> > organization, the trick is finding a place to host that server that
> > won't cost an arm and a leg.
>
>Other than my time of installing it and configuring it, I have no costs. I
>run it on my iMac that sits at home. My DSL provider has no problems with
>servers. Volume is low enough that my 384Kbps upstream is adequate. Until
>a few months ago, that iMac was also my main desktop machine. While it's
>now a dedicated server, there's nothing about Mailman and whatever MTA you
>use that requires them to be on a dedicated server - they'll be quite
>happy to chug along in the background.

The problem is that not everyone has an ISP that is willing to allow
a user to run an SMTP server or web server on a home machine.

The server my friend owns that hosts my stuff is on a Cox business
account with a static IP. Cox is one of many ISPs that won't allow
their subscribers to run such a server on a standard home broadband
connection, they will only allow such traffic on a business account.

As with everything, your mileage will vary.

Dragon