[Mailman-Users] Is it possible to filter what is archived?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 2 16:23:18 CEST 2007

Mike Peachey wrote:

>If only it were that easy, the problem I have is that I have list admins
>complaining to me (and my boss' boss) that their archive is polluted
>with messages from top-level lists and they want their archive to just
>contain messages sent directly to their list.

Make a custom handler (see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>)
that checks mlist.umbrella_list, and if true add an X-No-Archive:
header to the message. E.g.

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
    if mlist.umbrella_list:
        msg['X-No-Archive'] = 'Yes'

The handler has to be in the pipeline prior to 'ToArchive'.

The header

also works.