[Mailman-Users] Mailman refusing to stop/start with errors PID unreadable

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Aug 1 20:15:08 CEST 2007

On 8/1/07, Andrew Steele wrote:

>  We are currently in the process of moving our mailing lists to a new
>  virtual server.  The new server is using Webmin/Virtualmin 'control
>  panel'.

Unfortunately, when you incorporate other packages into the mix, it's
difficult for us to tell what problems might be caused by what parts
of the system.

>  Our only solution, so far, has been to remove and reinstall Mailman.
>  This is OK whilst we are setting everything up but will not be adequate
>  once we 'go live'.

Looking at what you've given us so far, it's hard to tell but I'm
wondering if maybe you don't have two separate and competing
installations of Mailman on this machine?  Perhaps one that expects
things to be in one set of locations, and one that expects things to
be in a different set of locations.

At least one of these installations appears to be a binary package
that was created by your OS vendor or someone else not associated
with the Mailman project, so they may be better suited to answering
your questions.

>  Can anyone offer a solution?  It isn't clear what is triggering this
>  occurrence... :-(
>
>  Any insight and advice gratefully received.

Unfortunately, you're using a lot of other software that we are not
generally familiar with, and from our perspective we can't think of
anything that might cause these problems from within our code, but of
course we can't be 100% certain.

You really need to find someone who has deep knowledge of those other
bits of code, as well as knowledge of how those interface to Mailman.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0