[Mailman-Users] Newb to list serv having errors

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 25 00:23:29 CEST 2007

Jeff Haugen wrote:

>Mailman version 2.1.5
>

>This is the Postfix program at host borg.ctap1.org.
>
>I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be be delivered
>to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
>For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>
>
>If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own
>text from the attached returned message.
>
>			The Postfix program
>
><ctap_survey-request at borg.ctap1.org>: Command died with status 2:
>    "/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman request ctap_survey". Command output:
>    Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>    executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the
>mail
>    script as group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>script
>    as group "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line
>option
>    `--with-mail-gid=nobody'.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>
for information on what this error means.

Normally, if Mailman and Postfix are 'integrated', the Postfix aliases
for Mailman lists are in Mailman's data/aliases* files and these files
are owned by Mailman's user:group.

It seems that perhaps the ownership of these files has changed causing
the above error (Postfix runs the pipe as the user:group of the owner
of the alias file in which the pipe alias is found), or possibly this
is a new list and someone added aliases for it to /etc/aliases or ?
instead of relying on Mailman/Postfix integration to automatically add
the aliases to data/aliases.