[Mailman-Users] Disable member configuration options

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Apr 24 16:59:28 CEST 2007

John Papapanos  wrote:

>Is there a way to disable users-members from changing
>some or all of their configuration options?

Only by changing the code in Mailman/Cgi/options.py and
Mailman/Commands/cmd_set.py.

>I think this is very important because some of these
>options should in some cases be available only to
>administrators.

Perhaps this is the case in some highly unusual situations, but in
general it is appropriate for users to have control of their own
options.

>In my case I want to have a public list in terms on
>who
>can post to the list but I want the list to be private
>in terms of who can access the archives and to whom
>messages can be forwarded to.

So set Privacy options...->Sender filters->generic_nonmember_action to
Accept so anyone can post and set Privacy options...->Subscription
rules->ban_list to a regex that matches all addresses not in your
domain. E.g.,

^.*@(?!example\.com)$

or if you want to allow sub-domains within your domain

^.*@(.*\.)?(?!example\.com)$

See <http://docs.python.org/lib/re-syntax.html>.

>About the private archives there is an option and can
>be configured only by the admin. But for me I want
>posts to be forwarded only to people that are members
>of the list and belong to my domain and not to the
>members that do not belong to my domain.

If you do the above, anyone can post to the list, member or not, but
only people with addresses in your domain can join the list and visit
archives and receive posts.