[Mailman-Users] Users NOT getting multiple copies of the samemessage, and they WANT them

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 20 01:54:44 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 12:14 PM -0400 4/19/07, McNutt Jr, William R wrote:
>
>>  Recently they've noticed that although the messages show up in the
>>  archives, they are not getting a copy of the message from each list,
>>  only the first one.
>
>My guess is that they're using Google, which has this "helpful"
>concept of eliminating any copies of messages that it thinks might
>potentially be duplicates of other messages, and sometimes it is
>wrong.
>
>I think that this issue is discussed in the FAQ, but I could be wrong.

It's mentioned at the bottom of
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.042.htp>,
but my understanding of the gmail issue is that the gmail poster would
see no messages from any list because they 'match' the sent message.
Other gmail list members would see only one of the list posts because
the ones from other lists all match.

>>  Is this a mailman feature?
>
>Nope, at least not unless I've misunderstood what you're asking.

The original 'no dups' patch was intended to do this, but it was never
distributed in an official release. Currently, Mailman delivers from
each list to all regular members of that list except the poster if the
poster selects 'not metoo' and any members in To:, Cc:, Resent-To: or