[Mailman-Users] Subscription Help

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Apr 17 18:58:59 CEST 2007

Dave Kall wrote:

>I need to set the mod bit for new members. I may be able to hack the
>config file and have it always set the mod bit on for new list
>members but haven't found any good references to that file and what's
>where.

As Dragon replied, the normal way to do this is to set Privacy
options...->Sender filters->default_member_moderation to Yes.

Unfortunately there is no good Mailman list admin reference. The two
references are linked from <http://www.list.org/admins.html>, but
Chris Kolar's manual is for Mailman 2.0 and Terri Oda's manual is
incomplete.

>I would rather just send the  info in a url and be done with it and
>not change any of the file settings so when I update mailman I don't
>have to redo anything.
>

>So this is where I'm at: I tried
>
>http://mydomain.org/mailman/admin/tips/members?
>shogie at earthlink.net_mod=on&setmemberopts_btn&adminpw=mypassword
>
>Is it possible to set this from a URL?  I think it must be but I'm
>missing something. I would love to be able to set it when I make the
>add record request but don't know if that is possible.

Yes, it's possible, but it's tricky. I tried it myself and wasn't able
to get it right. You need to look at the actual code in
Mailman/Cgi/admin.py to see what cgi data are required. In addition to
what you have, you definitely need the hidden 'user' field
(user=shogie at earthlink.net in your example above). You also need to
provide the realname and all the other options that are checked or
they will be cleared.

It's much easier to just set default_member_moderation to Yes.