[Mailman-Users] can't access /admin or /admindb/ for one ofmylists, other lists work fine

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 30 05:34:55 CEST 2006

wallace winfrey wrote:

>It looks like a bunch of messages in the meantime have popped up in the
>mailman/data directory; presumably some of them are posts from
>subscribers that didn't make it out to the list ? Any idea on how to fix
>this?

They are held messages, so mail is getting that far which is good.

>(I'm still wondering why I didn't shoot myself in the foot the last time
>I did this).

Removing (rm) a data/heldmsg... file doesn't cause a problem per se,
but when there are 33,000 of them it creates a huge amount of work for
the admindb script as it goes through the requests.pck, finds a held
message, reports it in the HTML it's creating, etc. and then
ultimately tries to do something with the message only to find it's
not there.

The basic problem is not that you rm'd the data/heldmsg files; it's
that there were 33,000 requests, and you didn't delete them.