[Mailman-Users] tracking log info

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 29 22:40:10 CEST 2006

Con Wieland wrote:

>Running postfix I get the following log entry, however I am not able
>to find where this was received in any of the mailman logs. I thought
>I would be able to track it by E84DC2659F but I am not able to find
>this number repeated in the mailman logs.  The mail never appears to
>be delivered to the list.

Is it in the archive?

>Sep 12 12:57:26 maillists.nac.uci.edu postfix/local[20280]: [ID
>197553 mail.info
>] E84DC2659F: to=<hopsinfolitcig at maillists.uci.edu>, relay=local,
>delay=1, statu
>s=sent ("|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post hopsinfolitcig")
>

>I have had a hard time tracking messages through the mailman system
>in the past. Any help would be appreciated.

Delivery of incoming messages to the 'post' script and resultant entry
in the 'in' queue is not logged by Mailman.

If there are no holds or other issues on the message, the only entries
will be in the 'post' and 'smtp' logs upon delivery to the eligible
message recipients. Holds will cause an entry in the 'vette' log as
will discards, but auto rejects will not.

Various exceptions that occur in the process will cause entries in the
'error' log.

None of these log entries will contain the postfix ID (E84DC2659F)
because Mailman doesn't know it.