[Mailman-Users] can't call command line functions from php

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Sep 18 22:41:00 CEST 2006

Thus spake Anne Ramey on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 03:06:37PM CDT

> Dragon wrote:
> > Anne Ramey wrote:
> >> I have my php script running as a user in the mailman group, but when I
> >> try to do:
> >>    //add user to Admin email list
> >>    $command = "/usr/local/mailman/bin/add_members -r ".$Filename."
> >> admins";
> >>    system($command, $status);
> >>
> >> I get a status of 1 returned to me and it doesn't add the users.  I've
> >> tried:
> >>    shell_exec($command);
> >> as well but it didn't work either.  I can successfully call these
> >> functions from my old perl scripts, so I don't think it's a permissions
> >> issue.

A better look at the permissions issue here would be helpful, since that's the
first thing one ought to eliminate.  I guess that we can assume you're running
this on a 'nix-like OS since you mention permissions.  Make sure that
/usr/local/mailman/bin/add_members has either world read and execute
permissions, or group read and execute permissions (dicey from a security
standpoint) or that the web server user is a member of group "mailman" (or
whatever group your mailman is installed as) and that group read and execute
permissions are turned on.

If permissions are an issue, there may be other mailman components called into
the process by add_members which may also need permissions adjusted.  If I run
system executables from a web page using PHP I generally do so via a compiled
setuid wrapper script which allows execution of the system command as a
priveleged user, or in your case as the mailman user.  This avoids all such
problems.  My wrapper program is written in C and has a bunch of security
checks built into it, and you can obfusticate it in a number of ways so that
it's pretty well inaccessable to a would-be troublemaker.

Another possible tool here would be to use passthru() instead of system() which
will allow any output from $command to be displayed.  Another might be to set
$command to point to a shell script which will run add_members, which will
allow you to redirect stdout and stderr appropriately.