[Mailman-Users] central location for /pythonlib/* for multipleinstallations

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 15 16:42:42 CEST 2006

Bretton Vine wrote:

>Apologies if I've ignored something obvious here, but with 6 mailman
>installations (all upgraded to 2.1.9 with a patched sourced) I've found
>discrepancies in the version of
>
>  mailman/pythonlib/email/Utils.py
>
>between the different installations.

I don't know why your installations were not all upgraded to email
2.5.8 when you upgraded to 2.1.9, but they should have been.

>One installation kept causing the
>problems with attachments with an apostrophe or other oddities (i.e.
>filename..pdf) etc.

That is fixed in email 2.5.8

>Given that for a minority of lists /all/ content must be
>accepted this isn't on. Exim accepts the messages, delivers to mailman and
>then they just sit in
>
>  mailman/qfiles/in/*.pck
>
>Even running unshunt doesn't help much. A reboot did though.

unshunt only handles messages in qfiles/shunt. It wouldn't affect
qfiles/in. However, I also don't understand the messages just sitting
in the 'in' queue. I seems that IncomingRunner died, which IIRC is not
the symptom of the 'apostrophe in attachment filename' issue.

>Can I run multiple installations of mailman but refer to on single location
>of the pythonlib/* files for all installations? This would prevent the
>different file sizes and content that seems to have cropped up.

Yes. In each installation there are copies of paths.py in the bin,
cron, scripts and tests directories. Each of these contains the
following section

# We also need the pythonlib directory on the path to pick up any
overrides of
# standard modules and packages.  Note that these must go at the front
of the
# path for this reason.
sys.path.insert(0, os.path.join(prefix, 'pythonlib'))

In each paths.py in each installation, replace

sys.path.insert(0, os.path.join(prefix, 'pythonlib'))

with

sys.path.insert(0, '/path/to/the/one/pythonlib'))

but the real issue is why didn't your 2.1.9 upgrade process install the
right email library in pythonlib in the first place.