[Mailman-Users] Running large announce list & forums

Jack Stone antennex at swbell.net
Wed Sep 6 15:45:29 CEST 2006

Folks:
  Being a nuB to Mailman (but old hand with majordomo), I have noted that if a message is being processed out to one of the large customer announcement lists (10,000+) that it seems the separate discussion lists' deliveries slow down substanially -- from minutes to hours! One member report 18 hours from post to receipt.

  I've read most of the "tuning" methods, but have not seen anything that might be best for this, except I *think* I have noticed a speedup if I don't use "personalized" stuff, like on the footers. I know it switches from processing individual messages to batches. Just wonder if that really is the main culprit.

  The "hours" mentioned above occurred when using personalized footers. The announcement lists still slow down things.

  I use sendmail on FBSD-6.x and latest Mailman 2.8x

  Just wondered what others have done with this type issue. I have read most of the "slow" message archives.

  PS: I have found that if I move a copy of any needed global "templates" to
  ../lists/somelist/en
  and that modified version will be used, which is great for customizing.

(^-^)
Best regards,
Jack L. Stone