[Mailman-Users] Obscure addresses problem

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 5 01:07:04 CEST 2006

At 2:06 PM -0500 2006-09-04, Dan Phillips wrote:

>  Remember, what he's trying to do is to get pipermail NOT to obscure
>  the addresses. This is completely unrelated to how the resulting
>  files are used or what further processing is done on them.

I understand.  The problem is that the standard method of using a
third-party archive solution should eliminate Pipermail from the
picture altogether, and instead replace it with the third-party
alternative.  I have never before heard of anyone taking the output
from Pipermail and then putting that into a third-party archive tool
-- that would be like taking the output from sendmail and then piping
that through postfix, and clearly redundant.

I think maybe the OP may want to review the recommended method of
using an external archiving tool like MHonArc with Mailman, such as
described in FAQ 4.4.

>  Maybe we're just trying the wrong setting; is the obscured address a
>  pipermail constant? Is there some other setting that controls this?

Did you look at your mm_cfg.py to see what the setting was for
ARCHIVER_OBSCURES_EMAILADDRS?  Here's the comment from Defaults.py
for Mailman 2.1.5, if you did not over-ride this setting:

# Pipermail archives contain the raw email addresses of the posting authors.
# Some view this as a goldmine for spam harvesters.  Set this to Yes to
# moderately obscure email addresses, but note that this breaks mailto: URLs
# in the archives too.
ARCHIVER_OBSCURES_EMAILADDRS = Yes

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.