[Mailman-Users] Mass Footer Change

Xueshan Feng sfeng at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 30 18:35:06 CET 2006

> > To: mailman-users at python.org
> > Subject: [Mailman-Users] Mass Footer Change
> > Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 02:18:33 -0500
> >
> > I am completely Python stupid.  How can I do a mass change of all footers on the lists I run without going list to list using the web interface.

Create a script, for example, call it 'newfooter.py' and save it under
the same diretory as 'withlist' script (/usr/lib/mailman/bin for my
Debian installation).

The newfooter.py:

def newfooter(mlist, file):
    fp = open(file)
    nfooter = fp.read()
    fp.close()
    mlist.msg_footer = nfooter
    mlist.Save()

Then you can run (as root or mailman user):

withlist -l -r newfooter <list> <file>

This will change the footer of <list> with the content in <file>.

You wil need a script around it to feed it with multiple lists.

This probably doesn't help much if you don't have login access to the
mailman server.  We developed a remote command line interface so our
list owners can manage their lists via command line without having to
login to the server.

Xueshan

Xueshan Feng (aka. Susan Feng)

Shared Services, ITSS