[Mailman-Users] Unexpected Listname When Creating New List

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Oct 28 00:45:36 CEST 2006

Jon Forrest wrote:

>newlist --help says:
>
>"Note that listnames are forced to lowercase".
>
>That doesn't seem to be true.

The confusion is there are two list names. The internal list name which
is the name of the list's sub-directory in Mailman's lists/ directory,
and the name which is used in URLs referencing the list is lower case.

The real_name attribute on the list's General Options page may be mixed
case, but must be the same as the internal name except for case. A
newly created list will be given an initial real_name = to the all
lower case internal name except the first character will be Upper case
if it's a letter. This name is used in some messages and on the
listinfo page.

>I just ran
>
>	bin/newlist test
>
>but my listinfo web page shows this as "Test".
>It also shows up as "Test" in the General Options
>web page.
>
>If I look at the "Details for real name" information, it says:
>
>"Email addresses are not case sensitive..."
>
>I learned in Email 101 that this is not true on the left
>side of "@" signs. Was my teacher playing a cruel joke on me?
>In any case, I can change "Test" to "test" and all appears
>well.

Or you can leave it as "Test" or make it "TEST" if you like.

You are correct. Local parts of email addresses (left of the @) are
interpreted only by local mail delivery and may be case sensitive
although they usually aren't. If *your* MTA is case sensitive, then
your list's real_name should be all lower case to match the internal
name, but most likely, you can capitalize it any way you want to make
it pretty.