[Mailman-Users] Question about Archives

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Tue Oct 17 17:35:05 CEST 2006

Thus spake Ken Winter on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 10:17:32PM CDT
> OK, I went to the host and deleted the files 2006-September (a folder),
> 2006-september.txt, and 2006-September.txt.gz.  Alas, the 9/06 archive is
> still listed on the web page.  I guess I have to edit index.html in that
> folder as well.

This won't work.  You need to edit the mbox file, which is in
~mailman/archives/private/listname.mbox - not the same as the per-month
folders.  Deleting per-month folders and the monthly archives won't work.
They're re-created from the the mbox file.  The mbox file is a single large
file containing all the posts to the list.  It's a classic Unix format mail
file in which each message is delimited with a "From address" line where From
has no colon after it, as distinguished from the "From: address" body headers.
You will need to delete messages starting with a From line and ending with the
line just before the From line on any message not deleted.  Then run arch
--wipe listname and you'll get what you expect.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at