[Mailman-Users] Using a remote email account as a message source

BigglesZX biggleszx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 20:20:07 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm using Mailman 2.1.8 on Debian with exim4 (4.63). I am a first-time
user of Mailman (at least from the administrative end); I am trying to
use Mailman as a replacement for a mail distribution routine used
previously in a project I am part of.

The previous system involved two accounts, members at mydomain.com and
exec at mydomain.com, and a program run every hour or so that checked
these accounts for new mail and sent any new mail out to addresses on
two predefined lists - one for members@ and one for exec at .

I was told (by someone to whom the problem may or may not have been
succinctly explained) that Mailman could be my salvation, so here I am
- installed and ready to go. The main question being: can a Mailman
list be set up such that instead of using listname at localhost, a remote
account is checked for messages and these are then distributed to the
list?

Or is my best option to forward all mail from this remote address to
an account on the local machine, and then have the list operate in the
normal way?

Thanks for your time and best regards,

  Biggs

biggleszx at gmail.com