[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Postfix on different hosts?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Oct 6 17:26:47 CEST 2006

At 5:01 PM +0200 10/6/06, Anders Norrbring wrote:

>  I'm thinking that maybe I can mount the mailman executable directory
>  from the webserver as a NFS share, and then run "as usual".

The Mailman developers have done a lot of work to try to make Mailman
as NFS-safe as possible.  In theory, you should be able to put the
entire /usr/local/mailman directory on NFS and share that from the
web server to the mail server, and so long as you properly configure
both ends that should "just work".

Of course, any time you put content on NFS and you have two different
servers accessing that content, you have a number of additional
issues and you have to make sure that NFS is properly configured to
support that method of use.  In particular, you need to make sure
that client-side attribute caching is turned off, among other things.

You also need to keep in mind that being dependant on an NFS server
for this kind of operation will introduce a number of new types of
failure modes (like everything appears to completely lock up if the
NFS server goes away), and that unless you're spending a lot of money
for a pretty high-end NFS server this will reduce your throughput and
the overall reliability of the system.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.