[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Postfix on different hosts?

Anders Norrbring lists at norrbring.se
Fri Oct 6 17:16:55 CEST 2006

Patrick Bogen skrev:
> On 10/6/06, Anders Norrbring <lists at norrbring.se> wrote:
>> Thanks Mark,
>> But I don't feel that fetchmail would be the right way for me...
>>
>> I'm thinking that maybe I can mount the mailman executable directory
>> from the webserver as a NFS share, and then run "as usual".
>>
>> Would that work?
>
> While this is theoretically possible ('all' the mailman executables
> need is to be able to access the configuration files and access the
> qfiles), you're basically just installing mailman on your mail server,
> with extra, needless, layers of complexity.
>
> The best way, really, to do this is to either (a) use fetchmail, or
> (b) set up your real mail server to forward the appropriate mail
> (i.e., the mailman messages) to the MTA on the mailman machine. (a)
> will be simpler, maybe (I've never actually done that.) (b) seems like
> a 'better' solution, to me.

Hmm.. Forwarding should do it I guess.  The goal I'm aiming for is to
split off all webserver activity from the mail host..
I guess that's clearly doable, I think the only thing would be to set up
the Postfix on the webserver to use a subdomain for the lists, otherwise
everything would loop back to the first SMTP. At least in my theory.. :)

--

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting