[Mailman-Users] Mailman vs. Email Aliases

Jon Forrest forrest at ce.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 5 22:53:00 CEST 2006

I'm a new Mailman user. So far things are working OK.

I just discovered a wrinkle that I suspect that other
mailmen and mailwomen have faced.

I follow good Sendmail/Postfix practice by breaking
my email aliases file into two sections - one where
I define a canonical email name for each person, and
the other where I define my email lists (which will
be replaced by Mailman-managed lists). In my lists
I only use the canonical name so that if somebody's
email address changes, I only have to change one thing
and then everything else works.

To show what I mean, I'll have something like this:

	smith:		smith at gmail.com

	list1:		smith
	list2:		smith
	list3:		smith

So when smith moves to yahoo.com, I only have to
change the first line.

However, I'm deliberately setting up each Mailman list
to only allow posting from members of the list. This means
that the technique above won't work because if I put
the canonical name in as the list member, any mail send
to the list by smith at gmail.com will be rejected. Using
smith at gmail.com in all the lists goes against the teachings
of Sendmail/Postfix, which are righteous. I don't currently
see any way around this.

What would be nice would be if there were a way to point Mailman
to the Sendmail/Postfix aliases file and then change the Mailman
check for list membership to do alias expansion.

I checked the FAQ but didn't see any mention of this. What am I
missing?

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
forrest at ce.berkeley.edu
Computer Resources Manager
Civil and Environmental Engineering Dept.
305 Davis Hall
Univ. of Calif., Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710
510-642-0904