[Mailman-Users] How to setup umbrella lists

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 16:16:04 CET 2006

On 11/30/06, Lonnie Norton <lonnie at norton.utah.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>     There is a "umbrella_list" setting in the "General Options" for my
> lists but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to setup the umbrella list to
> allow posting from people who are on the sub lists. Has someone written an
> explanation of this procedure?

There is a patch available that will allow you to reference other
lists' memberships in the accept_these_nonmembers field. The
'umbrella_list' setting is really just an accessory, which redirects
notifications (e.g., periodic password notifications) to sublist-owner
instead of just sublist (in which case everyone on the sublist would
see sublist's password! Oops!).

The patch, I believe, is here:
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103>

Additionally, each sublist either needs 'require_explicit_destination'
set to 'No,' or the address of the umbrella list added to
'acceptable_aliases'.

There may be something I'm missing, but I think that's everything.

--
- Patrick Bogen