[Mailman-Users] Upgrading from 2.1.5 to 2.1.9

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Nov 22 03:46:33 CET 2006

Greg Earle wrote:

>I'm contemplating moving from 2.1.5 to 2.1.9 on a Red Hat Enterprise WS 3
>system.  I built a custom 2.1.5 from a src RPM with the htDig stuff
>added originally; on a system with no Mailman installed.  Now of course
>I have a running setup with a dozen or so lists, and am afraid to go
>and overwrite stuff and break the lists.  (I already accidentally
>installed the new src RPM yesterday and overwrote my custom mailman.spec
>file from my 2.1.5 setup - thank goodness for daily backups).

You are talking about rpm stuff about which we may know nothing. If you
had originally installed from source with patches now were upgrading
from source with patches, we could be more helpful.

Perhaps someone else on this list has evperience with the exact
scenario you're looking at, but otherwise I don't think we can be too
helpful other than to say in general, the upgrade from 2.1.5 to 2.1.9
is pretty painless.

>Any caveats/gotchas/suggestions to look out for?  (So far I've already
>noticed from the old/new spec files that mmdir/varmmdir et al. have
>changed from "/var/mailman" to "/{usr,var}/lib/${name}", for example.)

See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2004-October/017343.html>
for more on these RedHat specific changes.

Note that we've been told that there is a script that installs with the
later RedHat rpms that will migrate your data to the new locations.