[Mailman-Users] Upgrading from 2.1.5 to 2.1.9

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Tue Nov 21 23:36:04 CET 2006

"Patrick Bogen" <pdbogen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/21/06, Ivan Fetch <ifetch at du.edu> wrote:
>>     We currently have /usr/local/mailman on each machine, and list data,
>> archives, logs, Etc on shared storage.  One of the things we will be
>> changing during this upgrade is to have everything Mailman live on the
>> shared storage.  During my test upgrade (on another machine) I integrated
>> /usr/local/mailman/* and directories from shared storage, and ran
>> configure with the --prefix pointing to this new mount point - this
>> appears to have worked properly, E.G. Mailman does not look for anything
>> in any of the old paths.
>
> Sounds good. I guess I could've been clearer, and indicated that the
> configure settings need to match the current installation- so if you
> change the current installation, this won't necessarily be the
> original configure arguments you used before. :)

I'm contemplating moving from 2.1.5 to 2.1.9 on a Red Hat Enterprise WS 3
system.  I built a custom 2.1.5 from a src RPM with the htDig stuff
added originally; on a system with no Mailman installed.  Now of course
I have a running setup with a dozen or so lists, and am afraid to go
and overwrite stuff and break the lists.  (I already accidentally
installed the new src RPM yesterday and overwrote my custom mailman.spec
file from my 2.1.5 setup - thank goodness for daily backups).

Any caveats/gotchas/suggestions to look out for?  (So far I've already
noticed from the old/new spec files that mmdir/varmmdir et al. have
changed from "/var/mailman" to "/{usr,var}/lib/${name}", for example.)

Thanks,

	- Greg