[Mailman-Users] creating list defaults and filters?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 21 19:21:58 CET 2006

Tim Tyler wrote:

>1. Is there a way when creating lists to have it automatically set
>certain fields with certain defaults such as Archives off, mail size
>limit 40k, etc.; instead of having to manually set them?

There are mm_cfg.py settings for some list defaults, but not all.

There are settings for DEFAULT_ARCHIVE and DEFAULT_MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE.
See the sections "# Archive defaults" and "# List defaults" in
Defaults.py for a list of what's available.

>2. Is there a way to set a filter for a list such that all messages
>are automatically rejected or discarded if they don't have a
>particular subject header string such as [announce] in it?  I see
>that one can accept [announce] in the filters, but how does one wild
>card reject all the rest?  Also, I presume that order matters, correct?

In header filter rules, first set one or more rules to match and accept
what you want to pass. Then set the last rule with a RE that matches
anything (e.g. simply '^' or '.') and an action of reject (or hold or
discard).

Yes, order matters, the first rule matched is the one that applies to
the message.