[Mailman-Users] creating list defaults and filters?

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:30:55 CET 2006

On 11/20/06, Tim Tyler <tyler at beloit.edu> wrote:
>    Mailman users,
>   I have two questions.  We are running Mailman 2.1.5 on Redhat.
>
> 1. Is there a way when creating lists to have it automatically set
> certain fields with certain defaults such as Archives off, mail size
> limit 40k, etc.; instead of having to manually set them?
FAQ 4.38 <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.038.htp>
might help with this. I could've sworn there was an FAQ relating to
how to make 'cookie-cutter' lists, as it were, but I can't seem to
find it. This info might just be in the list archives.

> 2. Is there a way to set a filter for a list such that all messages
> are automatically rejected or discarded if they don't have a
> particular subject header string such as [announce] in it?  I see
> that one can accept [announce] in the filters, but how does one wild
> card reject all the rest?  Also, I presume that order matters, correct?

What you want to do, in this case, is set a header_filter_rule that
accepts anything with [announce] in it, and then set the default
action to be discard.

However, it sounds like you're trying to set up an umbrella list. An
easier solution here would be to have the umbrella list sender address
(e.g., announce-bounces at example.com) be in the
'accept_these_nonmembers', and set generic_nonmember_action to
discard. If necessary, you can further set all members of the list to
moderated, and set member_moderation_action to 'discard'.

--
- Patrick Bogen