[Mailman-Users] Temporary local problem - please try later

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Nov 13 18:52:49 CET 2006

J.R. Constance wrote:

>I am using Exim, and here is the corresponding error from the
>exim_rejecting log for this smtp-failure entry.
>
>2006-11-12 18:33:44 H=localhost (frodo.clshost.com) [127.0.0.1]
>sender verify defer for <mailman-bounces at ascls-lists.org>: error in
>redirect data: missing or malformed local part (expected word or "<")
>in ":blackhole"

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Exim is trying to verify the
envelope sender <mailman-bounces at ascls-lists.org> for this message to
<jrc at rodricon.com> according to something in its configuration and
there is an apparent syntax error involving ":blackhole"

>2006-11-12 18:33:44 H=localhost (frodo.clshost.com) [127.0.0.1]
>F=<mailman-bounces at ascls-lists.org> temporarily rejected RCPT
><jrc at rodricon.com>: Could not complete sender verify
>
>I have had a situation with this domain where some spammers seem to
>be using the domain as a return address and getting a lot of
>rejections for emails that we weren't sending, so I set the default
>address folr ascls-lists.org to :blackhole so that I wasn't getting
>all of the rejections. Could that be causing a problem?

I'm sure that's it. It appears there is some syntax error in what you
set in the Exim configuration.

What do you get from

  exim -bt jrc at rodricon.com -f mailman-bounces at ascls-lists.org