[Mailman-Users] spam, spamcop and mailman moderation

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Fri Nov 10 18:07:56 CET 2006

Gadi Evron wrote:

>I cannot afford to spam filter some mailing lists. That's my problem.
>With those I do, a lot still comes through and I am pretty good at it.
>
>Sending the messages back is causing a lot of problem, and should be
>considered again if it should remain ON by default.

This begs the question, why can you NOT afford to filter some lists?

I personally cannot imagine a situation where this would be so.

I've found that since we implemented gray-listing and spam-assassin
and ClamAV on my server, I get maybe one Spam mail slipping through
to mailman each month. Most times, it is completely spam-free and the
only moderation request I get are for members trying to post to a
member's only list from an alternative e-mail address.

Before we did all of this, we were getting many thousands of spam
mails each day. Right now, those spam mails are still hitting the
server but the vast majority are never even received because
gray-listing derails about 80 to 90% of them. Of those that do get
past that, most are then correctly identified by spamassassin for
what they are.

You really should use the power of MTA filtering, it will save you a
lot of frustration. At the very least, use gray-listing because the
vast majority of spam simply won't be resent when a deferral response
is sent from your MTA to the sender.

Dragon