[Mailman-Users] debian/exim4/mailman

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Tue Nov 7 01:19:39 CET 2006

On 11/3/06 3:23 PM, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

>> 1) I have a website that I want to maintain a list for but my host provider
>> charges me if I run a list through that hosts. So I figured  I could run a
>> list from my own personal machine and use remote smtp to just mail to the
>> list. ( its going to be an announcement list only). Well, I am running debian
>> and home and I was able to finally get exim4 talking with gmail and use
>> googles smtp servers.
>

> Why not just let Exim connect directly to the recipients' smtp servers?

A. Terms of service.

B. Filters of two kinds (the first of which has two sub-kinds):

1.  List operator's ISP (a) blocks port 25 except to its own servers or (b)
diverts the traffic to its own servers

2.  Recipient's ISP does not accept incoming port 25 connections from the
list operator's IP block.

If list operator has static IP AND suitable reverse lookup for his domain,
and his ISP doesn't do static IP out of the same subnets that it does
dynamic, then #2 is much less likely--and so is the TOS problem.

  --John