[Mailman-Users] debian/exim4/mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Nov 4 00:23:28 CET 2006

Eric Walker wrote:

>1) I have a website that I want to maintain a list for but my host provider charges me if I run a list through that hosts. So I figured  I could run a list from my own personal machine and use remote smtp to just mail to the list. ( its going to be an announcement list only). Well, I am running debian and home and I was able to finally get exim4 talking with gmail and use googles smtp servers.

Why not just let Exim connect directly to the recipients' smtp servers?

>When I do a send from the command line I see the messages go out and they are received. The message has the headers and looks as if its comes from my websites domain. Now, I am trying to install mailman. I created a test list and here are a couple of things I can't do and need help.
>1) When I create  a list I get a message saying a new list is created and here is the password to admin it etc. I follow the links in the page and it takes me back to my home machine and I see the mailman pages. I can admin and add users. I cannot send an email to the list though...

You have at least two choices:

You can use bin/inject to put a post into Mailman's 'in' queue, or you
can set up Exim/Mailman integration (see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.019.htp>),
and set up an MUA (email client) to post to the smtp server on
'localhost' and send posts through it.