[Mailman-Users] New Mailman Installation - Can't Send Email to a New List

mcjathan mcjathan1 at xmission.com
Fri Nov 3 22:06:06 CET 2006

Greetings,

We've recently installed Mailman 2.1.9 on our server. We have installed
and configured Mailman in a postfix environment that is using mysql (See
our server configuration at the bottom of this email).  We can create a
new list, log onto the admin and user web interface.  However, we are
unable to send email to a newly created list.  When we try to send an
email, the send process hangs with the following message:

    Alert

    An error occurred while sending mail.  The mail server responded:
    <testlist at ourserver.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown
    in the local recipient table.  Please verify that your email address
    is correct in your Mail preference and try again.

We've followed the instructions in the pages below and still been unable
to fix the problem:

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.007.htp
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp

We've noticed that the .../data/virtual-mailman.db does not populate.
Running genaliases populates the .../data/aliases and
...../data/aliases.db.  Adding a new list updates the aliases.db, but in
either case, the virtual-mailman and virtual-mailman.db files have no data.

Questions:

1) Is our inability to send email to the lists due to the fact that the
virtual db files aren't being populated?
2) If so, how do we fix this for our already created lists?
3) If so, how do we fix things so that lists we create from now on don't
have this problem?

Regards,  Jeff
Server Configuration

Linux version 2.6.15-gentoo-r1

Postfix mail_version = 2.2.5
  -2 virtual domains
  -multiple aliases for each virtual domain

phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl1
  -MySQL 4.1.14-log

SquirrelMail version 1.4.5

Mailman version: 2.1.9 (not fully functional at this point)